Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Floods can leave a range of damage that can be difficult to sort through. Soaking drywall and carpet, tarnishing wood finishes, and damaging structural elements, water damage is a risk that can be caused by any number of events -- from natural disasters to burst plumbing fixtures. If your home or business has been affected by a flood, you may wonder what the best course of action is. Below are some helpful tips for what to do next. No matter what size of flood has occurred in your Queens, NY home or business, there are several key considerations to keep in mind.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (718) 971-1585
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.